ABOUT THE PROJECT
Every year, the full-time (career-entry) Honours in Journalism class at Wits University undertakes an in-depth research project which allows the students to put into practice their newly-acquired journalism skills under the supervision of a group of mentors.
The students were given a month to complete the project: two weeks to find, research and write up a 2000-word feature in consultation with their group mentors, and another two weeks to compile the multimedia elements.
The group of 17 was divided into four groups and each group was assigned a mentor. Meet the team here.
CULTURE AND COMMUNITY
- Being Muslim in Soweto
- As hardy as the aloe – The Griquas of Kliptown
- A woman’s place is in the house
- Soweto as virgin territory
- Under the skin of tattooing in Orlando
FAMILY AND TRADITION
- Lifting the lid on silence
- For the love of the beautiful game
- The Shakes ‘beer’ of Kliptown
- Restoring the spirit of a village